The Alexandra District Nursing service aims to provide professional nursing care and support services to people in their home. The service gives many options for people with short or long term illness or disability who choose to return to, or remain in their own home.
Any person is eligible to receive District Nursing assistance, subject to an initial assessment by the District Nurse.
The Alexandra District Nursing Service covers the areas of Alexandra, Eildon, Thornton, Acheron, Taggerty, and Yarck. The Marysville District Nursing Service covers the areas of Marysville and Buxton. Phone Numbers are listed below.
We are required to charge a fee prescribed by the Dept. of Health & Community services (VIC). This is negotiated during the initial visit and may be waived or reduced in cases of hardship.
Access to the service is usually by referral from your Medical Practitioner or Health care facility on discharge. Clients may also self-refer.
Our District Nursing Service offers assistance with and monitoring of the following:
1. Support and education regarding the activities of daily living
2. Observation and assessment in a range of technical functions including:
- Administering prescribed medications IMI/IV
- Blood Pressure
- Blood Sugar Levels
- Care of PICC lines and Hickman's catheters subcutaneous ports
- Colostomy Care
- Emotional Support for carers or chronic sufferers
- Medication Education and Supervision
- Pallative Care
- Professional advise & education
- Suture Removal
- Urinary catheter care
- Wound care
3. By accessing our service we can also recommend and refer clients to local ancillary services including:
- A&EP (Equipment for the Disabled)
- Accesss to non-means tested Government subsidy for carers
- ADASS (Adult Day Activity Service Scheme)
- Diabetic Advisor
- Geriatric Assessment
- Home Care
- Linkage Program
- Meals on Wheels
- Occupational Therapy
- Regional Palliative Care Service
- Support Groups
The District Nursing Service usually operates five days per week. Visits can be arranged on weekends if required.
A nurse is available during the hours between 8.30am to 5pm - Monday-Friday.
The evening and weekend service is limited to urgent visits and those where no alternate care is available.
Suitability of the dates and times of the District Nursing visits are negotiated with the client on admission to the service.
This ensures that the District Nursing Service most appropriately meets the client and their carers needs.
You can be assured of professional and caring staff who will deliver quality and confidential care.
Please do not hesitate to contact our service if you require any further information.
Contact the following to discuss your needs:
District Nurse at Alexandra District Health - Telephone 5772 0841 or your medical practitioner.
If your matter is urgent, messages can be left at Alexandra District Health on 5772 0900